This is not your typical chicken salad. I have a strong aversion to mayonnaise and a natural predilection for anything with black beans and cilantro, so of course this is my go-to sandwich filler. Moist, plump, baked chicken is simply tossed with cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper, avocado, corn, and black beans. After marrying the flavors in the fridge for a few hours you will have a flavorful, healthy, packed-full-of-fiber mixture to fill yesterday’s whole wheat pitas.
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 2 Tb. onion, minced
- 1 14 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ c. frozen kernel corn, thawed
- ½ c. chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.º Season chicken with salt and pepper and bake for 25 minutes, or until juices run clear. Cool, then cut into 1″ cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken, corn, black beans, cilantro, onion, lime juice, salt and pepper.