I’m not a vegan, but I created this dish for a friend who is. I would eat worms if they were cooked in coconut milk!
- 1 c. uncooked jasmine rice (plain old white is ok too)
- 2-3 c. water
- 1 (14 oz.) can light coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- dash cinnamon to garnish
- (1 pat of butter if you aren’t making it vegan)
- Boil rice in 3-4 cups water. You want there to be more water than you would normally use, as if you were making pasta. Boil the rice for about 15 minutes. If you are using leftover rice, boil it for about 5-7 minutes until it is really soft. Strain the rice.
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice and can of coconut milk. Add about 1/3 cup sugar and the vanilla. Simmer on very low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, or until most of the coconut milk is absorbed. You may want to add more sugar, depending on your taste and the brand of coconut milk you are using. I have found with lite coconut milk, using closer to 1/2 cup yields a better result, while with regular coconut milk, 1/3 cup is sufficient.
- Transfer rice mixture into a shallow baking dish. Cover loosely with tin foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring once. The pudding is done when the coconut milk is absorbed.
- If you are not serving this for vegans, adding 1/2 tablespoon of butter makes it a little richer. Top with cinnamon.