I have used this salad from Allrecipes.com several times for inspiration. I just make it with whatever I have on hand, but the Lemon Poppyseed Dressing is to die for. The recipe makes a pretty large quantity of dressing and it will keep in the fridge for weeks. I try to use lemon juice for the acid base, but it is almost as good with some apple cider vinegar. Here is my interpretation of the recipe (its almost the same).
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ c. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. diced shallots
- 1 tsp. whole grain mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. light olive oil
- 1 Tb. poppy seeds
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- ½ c. goat cheese crumbles
- 1 c. toasted pecans
- ¼ c. dried cranberries
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
- In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, lemon juice, shallots, whole grain mustard, and salt. Process until well blended. With machine still running, add oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds, and process just a few seconds more to mix.
- In a large serving bowl, toss together the Romaine lettuce, goat cheese cheese, pecans, dried cranberries, and apple. Pour dressing over salad just before serving, and toss to coat.